Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Life Is Not Always A Comparison Of Apples To Apples

Whenever I tell our daughter, Emily's, story to people I most commonly get a response of: "I don't know how you do it?" I am always puzzled by this response because I don't know how not to do it? I guess I could do nothing for Emily and she would have a poor quality of life, or I could put her into an institution, or we could just give up and let her wither away. But none of those options ever have or will cross my mind. Emily is our first child so I guess I didn't realize how life could be different until her sister came along.

Just like the dynamics of any family, our two girls are so incredibly different that there is no true comparison of apples to apples. So when I am asked by a friend or stranger the question of "how do you do it?" I simply reply that "my life has challenges just like theirs and that you just deal with what you have been dealt". I also remember that not one single person in this world totally knows what it is like to walk in my shoes and I don't know what it is like to walk in theirs. Although others may experience similar struggles, their life can never truly be compared to mine.

I appreciate empathy when times are tough and celebrate when times are great. I try to think of our life as being the 'norm' and that makes it easier for me to get through the tough times. So, no matter how similar a situation might seem to you just remember that life is not always a comparison of apples to apples. Reach out to those in need and tell them it WILL get better and show your support for their struggles. But please do not assume that you understand what they are going through for they are truly the only ones who know how they feel.

1 comment:

  1. Empathy is important to the soul. It is a matter of sharing a feeling; a knowing that the lessons presented to us are just that, steps of learning.

    The use of empathy is as close as one can get to that relationship without being attached directly.

    It is a tool of honoring one for their efforts and feelings; it is offering respect for what another is doing in service to others.

    One should thank the the person for an observation spoken from the heart and send love in return, as your thank you.

    You honor all who honor you for your service!

    ReplyDelete